How do they know? Prevention magazine, Flat Belly Diet, Biggest Loser, Kraft Kitchens, Everyday Food, even Martha S., they are all emailing me with diet foods, recommendations and invitations to join their clubs! I have a reader base of about 20 hits per day – I think that must be all the diet companies, one or two readers and a dog…
I promise you I am not going to try any diet, but will take bits from all of them that suit me, or not, either way I will let you know…I’m a diet method whore!
I don’t know about you, but I was getting a bit sick of chicken – so tonight we went vegetarian!
Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
Baked eggplant and a healthier béchamel sauce match up in an Italian classic made virtuous. The cheeses are on top, instead of in layers, with a creamy pink sauce underneath.
Prep: 20 minutes
Total: 45 minutes
- 1 large eggplant (2 pounds), sliced 1/2 inch thick crosswise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup homemade or best-quality store-bought marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. Arrange eggplant on two rimmed baking sheets. Brush eggplant on both sides with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown and very tender, 20 to 25 minutes, turning slices and rotating sheets halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make sauce: Off heat, in a medium saucepan, whisk together 1/4 cup milk, flour, and garlic. Gradually whisk in remaining 3/4 cup milk and 1/2 cup marinara sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and cook until pink sauce has thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Spread ½ cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Alternate layers of baked eggplant with pink sauce. Dollop with remaining marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake on upper rack until browned and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.
230 calories; 10.3g fat; 12.7g protein; 22.7g carbs per serving
This was very good and essentially simple. Andy felt that it needed more tomato, which I guess will not affect the calorie count too much…
Jojo was kind of shocked when I confirmed that it is my body sitting cross-legged in this blog’s header. She thought it was too thin to be me! Hey, I’m taking it as a compliment…
I need snacks I can grab without having to put it together and breakfast ideas…I’ll check that all out tomorrow.